Friday 18 October 2013

New archive intern, new photo discoveries!



Hello,

My name is Sharon and I’m the new archive intern. I completed the MSc in Information Management and Preservation at the University of Glasgow in August of this year and I’m very excited to begin to get practical experience working as an archivist. It’s also very nice to return to LHSA; this is where I did my course cataloguing placement last year.

My main task is to continue cataloguing LHSA’s collection of photographs into the database, so my first week has been spent mainly assessing them and making a list of what we have. The internship also allows me to experience other aspects of archival work, including dealing with enquiries. Sarah, the Conservation Intern and I helped Archive Assistant Stephen research some enquiries from the public by looking through the Royal Edinburgh Hospital Register of Deaths and the Casebooks. I’ve also been helping Archivist Laura to make arrangements for the ‘200 years 200 Objects’ exhibition which will be taking place at the Talbot Rice Gallery next month. Yesterday we spent some time evaluating objects and papers from our collection which will form part of the exhibition and I had the opportunity to see important historical resources such as the Royal Edinburgh Hospital Minute Books.

I’ve seen a lot of really interesting photographs this week and am sharing my favourite one so far. This is a so far uncatalogued item entitled ‘Photos in Nurseries, June 1949’. It shows children from St Kentigern's; I don't know much about its provenance nor about its context, but the delight on the faces of the nurses and children and the penguins, happy to be the centre of attention, make it a great photograph.
St Kentigern's children with penguins, 1949

No comments:

Post a Comment